Under the radar map to consider: Citizens Bank Cash Back Plus
I often brag about the no annual fee credit cards that offer 2% cash back on all purchases. While some cards offer better rewards in certain categories, getting a 2% discount on anything you buy without too much work is a really nice return.
These cards, such as the CitiÂ® Double Cash Card, Wells Fargo Active Cashâ Card, and PayPal Cashback MastercardÂ®, are also great bases if you want to mix and match different products as they set a higher floor than most offers. You could potentially get 3-6% cash back in some categories with other cards, but their baseline is often only 1%, so a 2% cash back card could double your rewards. on these purchases.
Today I’m going to tell you about an interesting card that doesn’t get a lot of attention. It gives 1.8% cash back on every purchase and its other perks could actually make it more valuable than many 2% cash back cards. I’m talking about the Citizens Bank Cash Back Plus â¢ World MastercardÂ®.
- Extended warranty protection that doubles the original manufacturer or store warranty (up to two years) when you purchase an eligible item with the card.
- Cell phone insurance with a maximum annual coverage of $ 1,000 (capped at $ 600 per claim and two claims per year) as long as you pay your monthly phone bills with the card.
- Trip Cancellation and Interruption Coverage that covers eligible expenses if you need to cancel or interrupt a trip for a covered reason.
- Rental car insurance for collision, loss or damage.
- A 0% interest rate on balance transfers for 15 billing cycles (then a variable APR ranging from 15.99% to 23.99%, depending on your creditworthiness).
In addition, as a World Mastercard, many additional benefits are available through Mastercard. These include a free ShopRunner subscription (allowing two-day free shipping and free returns from over 100 popular retailers), a free three-month DashPass subscription, $ 5 off your first two DashPass orders each month, discounts from Lyft and HelloFresh, 24/7 Concierge Service and more.
Compare that to one of my favorite cash back cards, the Citi Double Cash, which gives 1% cash back when you make a purchase and another percent when you pay for it. Double Cash offers a bit more cash back than Cash Plus World Mastercard on every transaction, but its list of additional benefits is much shorter than before. In September 2019, Citi removed several key benefits from this card, including extended warranty coverage, price protection, purchase protection, return protection, rental car insurance, and trip cancellation / interruption insurance. Double Cash is always a good card, but the added benefits of the Cash Plus card might prove to be better for some customers.
The bottom line
The quantity and quality of these benefits could make the Citizens Bank Cash Plus World Mastercard more valuable than a card offering slightly higher cash back but with fewer extras. It is a beneficial reminder that while a handful of large card issuers attract the most attention, smaller financial institutions such as Citizens Bank sometimes offer very attractive cards as well.
A question about credit cards? Email me at [email protected] and I would be happy to help.